05 April 2012

Sleeplessness

I went in at seven this morning, and mum was sleeping. She slept poorly last night, the carer said, and was for some reason simply unable to sleep.

"I want to change rooms..." she told me. She first mentioned it last week, saying this particular room is not "suitable" for her. She doesn't say the word, but I know she believes the room is "not clean", in other words haunted or has some kind of spirit demon. And hence at night she is kept wide awake...

Whether it's true or not I don't know. But she is unable to rest, and there is a psychological reason keeping her awake at night. The more awake she is, the more she scares herself, and hence keeping her even more awake.
For non-believers, you might point to the fact that mum has had trouble sleeping for a while now, since around February. I don't know what the cause is, and she has been prescribed sleeping aids. But still she's often awake at night, even at home. I suspect it's related to her illness, and perhaps her mind is proliferating with thoughts and fears (something mum denies, for she says her mind is just blank when she lies in bed...). What is strange is that for the last two nights, she slept through the night without a problem. The painkiller induces sleep, but today, three days after the surgery, they reduced the dosage of the painkillers. So there is more reason to believe that perhaps a lot of the cause of her sleeplessness is psychological.

But I can't tell her that it's in her mind. She gets upset and says I don't understand. So we went to the head nurse and requested a room change. Mum says she wants to be back in the ward where she was when she was originally admitted about two weeks ago. From the way the head nurse spoke, I could tell she also found it strange and did not fully buy the story that mum's sleeplessness is due to the room where she is now being "unclean" (haunted...).

What do I say? I just feel so frustrated, because besides the physical discomforts and uncertainty whether mum can eat or not, now I have to deal with her strong belief that there is something "bad" in the room she is in.
If really moving will calm her mind, then fine I can help move everything. But at the moment, there is simply no other one bed suite available. And it is unlikely mum would want to move back into sharing a room with another patient.

Very frustrating...

No comments: