02 April 2012

Skype session

There were many moments when brother just looked at mum, and mum looked at brother. No words were said. Mum was still sleepy, very drowsy and tired, while brother was about to go to sleep. It's midnight in europe, and he looked tired. A couple of times, he took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes.

"Mama, you have to be strong..." brother said. That was as much as he said, and he said it several times. Again, I could feel the awkwardness, for I'm sure deep down he wanted to say much more, but he could not find the words. But I know deep down there is a heart that is racing, a mind that is frightened, and a boy longing to be at his mother's side...

"Don't worry," I said, "I'll be by her side". Brother reminded me again and again to call if there is anything.

"My mobile is on, my Skype is on. Call anytime you need to, just let me know how things go." there was a moment when it was just my brother and I speaking. He asked if I had contacted our second uncle (mum's second brother). "You know, in case something happens..."

"I know," I said, "It's been arranged. He knows."

Quarter to seven. Reluctantly, my brother hung up Skype. Mum was getting a bit irritated, and she needed to get dressed for surgery. I believe she did not sleep well, for she was a bit moody, and looked so very tired... I was disappointed, for I had hoped they would connect a bit more, perhaps say some touching things. But mum seemed to want to get back to lying down and resting.

For a few moments I massaged mum's legs, feet, arms and hands, and rubbed her back. She closed her eyes and had an expression of bliss on her face. I grabbed the family portrait I had brought with me, and places it in front of her. She took the portrait and looked at it for several minutes, studying every detail, studying our family... In the background, soothing yoga music played.

"Relax, let the doctors do their jobs. They know what they are doing, so just let go and relax..." I said. I read in a book recently that you should remind the patient to relax and ease the body, so that the muscles are not as tense and the body will be more receptive to an invasive procedure. It will make it easier for the bleeding to stop, for the body will let it's guard down, instead of resist surgical intervention and make it harder to heal.

"The deities are with us... I will recall the Bodhisattva of Mercy. And all you do for me, it's enough to make the heavens give us blessings..." mum said.

I hope so, I really do hope so.

No comments: