01 April 2012

Departures

My aunt (mum's youngest sister) left this morning. Last night I slept at home, as it probably will be a while till I can have a good night's rest at home. I actually slept for a good nine hours, I actually overslept, which was embarrassing, as I promised I'd bring breakfast at seven in the morning!

Mum's youngest sister has been with us for over ten days. She's been a great help, especially as she gives me the opportunity to go home for a few hours a day to rest and shower. Plus, she has been brewing soups and broths, so that mum can at least get a little more than just water. She has been very helpful, not only around the house, but by being there, and being someone with whom mum can talk to and feel like less alone. But she has her own life back home, in the southern part of the country, and I always knew she would have to go back someday.

My uncle (mum's first brother) and his wife have been in hospital even before mum checked in. Today, he was discharged and also going back home. He and his wife lived in the ward next to mum's and every day they would come in and sit down, watch tv, watch the sunset. Their daughter, my cousin who works at the airport would come by every evening to bring food, and we've enjoyed many meals and talks together, given each other mutual support and encouragements. My uncle and his wife came into mum's room around noon. He is the silent type, but in the greatest show of affection, he held onto mum's arm with both hands. "You have to take good care..." His wife's eyes were red. She leaned in closer to mum and whispered something I could not hear, but I knew it must have been touching. "If there I anything, please call. Being like this is no state to feel like you're imposing. Please call us if you need anything." They quietly left, and the daily chat sessions, the routine walks around the ward, moments sitting around mum and chatting, reminiscing, drinking warm high mountain green tea from their home region while munching on peanuts and other delicacies, became a thing of the past as the door shut behind them.

It's just mum and me now... Mum and me, and the unknown days ahead.


No comments: