07 April 2012

Goodbye

I peered through the looking glass, with big puppy eyes, at my friend who was queuing up to pass through immigration. A three day visit, and many moments of laughter and joking around, have come to an end. I wasn't sad, because I know somehow, somewhere, even if we don't keep in touch for a long while, we will meet again someday, and we will again be able to enjoy carefree and happy days with one another as we embark on another adventure together.

His visit took me by surprise, and involved a number of people keeping very good secrets from me. When I said good-bye, I hugged him tightly and placed my cheek against his. "Thank you," I said, "I appreciate it a lot..." I really do. For in my darkest moments, he seems able to suddenly appear and find ways to distract me, to cheer me up, to make me forget (at least temporarily) and to make me remember how to laugh-- a precious ability I often fear I may loose under oppressive circumstances.

Before he walked away, I hugged him again, and thanked him again. His visit has given me reason to laugh and hope, and has reminded me again there are friends who genuinely care and who would go to lengths to lift me up.

I made my way back to the city, a little bit stronger to face whatever I must face in the days ahead.

No comments: