04 April 2012

Exhausted

Mum slept most of the day yesterday, and most of today. The surgery is exhausting, and the doctor said it's good for her to rest as much as possible. The intravenous painkiller, which slowly drips into her body, and the dosage of which can be increase at a touch of a button, not makes the pain from surgery more bearable, but also induces sleep and drowsiness. The 72hour period of observation is still not over, and mum's health is still fragile, despite the extra dose of IV nutrients they have been giving her since the day before the surgery.

I too am somehow very tired, even though I went home to sleep last night. It helped that there is a professional carer who can attend to mum's needs, so I can be less anxious and more assured. But even so, I slept badly and woke up a number of times. I came into hospital at seven in the morning, just to make sure I don't miss the doctor. As mum slept, I sat next to her and read, but I could not overcome sleepiness either...

Was the runup to surgery and the whole day yesterday really that exhausting, not just for mum, but also for me?

No comments: