01 April 2012

Memories

There are few people mum sees nowadays. Besides her siblings, there is her cousin and a friend of hers who visit mum once or twice a month.

With her cousin and this friend, mum has traveled to Europe on no less than three separate occasions. Together, they have common memories of riding the Glacier Express in Switzerland, of visiting the village where van Gogh painted in Southern France (2004), of exploring the fjords of Norway, of taking the Flying Scotsman to the Scottish Highlands (2003), of exploring the French Riviera, of playing slot machines in Monte Carlo, of watching the sun rise over the Mediterranean, of shopping on the Champs Elysees and at various outlets, of many sumptuous feasts at fancy bistros... There are so many more memories that only they can recall, that only they can reminisce and smile back at.

They came by today, unannounced, and called only when they were at the hospital. Mum received them, and they sat down for a few hours. I took the chance to quickly go eat and to rush downtown to Boa-an Temple, where the deity in charge of health and recover is the main patron saint.

I returned later, and as I approached mum's room, I heard the "auntie" (mum's friend) talk excitedly about travels in southern France. I went into the room quietly, and one of the first thing mum asked was: "What is that name of that village where Cezanne lived?"

"Aix-en-Provence..."


Excitedly, mum's friend continued recalling their trip there, and I listened quietly.

"Get well soon so we can go traveling! Courage, and next year we can go to 'A-mei's homestay'!" the friend said, referring to a beautiful house in Aigle, Switzerland, where a Taiwanese lady mum's age runs a B&B together with her husband.

"You know," mum recalled, "In their garden there is a cherry tree. And in the Summer when there are cherries, birds would come and eat them..." She closed her eyes, reminiscing, and smiled gently. What came to my mind was that I climbed a ladder one day and went up the tree to pick cherries and shared them with mum. So fresh, so juicy, and completely organic, mum's favourite! There were kiwis, peaces and apples too, and we saw them all grow in the garden of the B&B. My mind thought back to the Summer of 2010, when I "surprised" mum in Europe and went to search for her all the way in Switzerland. The crazy thing was that two days earlier, I just returned to Canada from Taiwan. I took a flight to Europe the next day I landed, and a day after that, I flew to Switzerland to find her at the B&B. Why? I guess it was all part of what I nowadays call "Operation Eternal Happiness"-- attempts to do things with mum, for mum, to make her happy, to make her smile, so that one day she can look back and realise time and again what a wonderful, fun and colourful life she has led. One day, like today.


There was a tear in the corner of mum's eye. I wanted to give her a tissue to wipe it away, but I did not. The tear glistened there. Perhaps my mum's friend also saw it.

"Get well soon! We will go travel again next year!"

I smiled at mum, and still saw that teardrop. Some things are best not said, but that does not prevent a thought from arising, even a dark thought...


No comments: