25 June 2012

Visit of old friends

There are a couple of college friends mum is close to and has kept in touch throughput these years. Four of them shared a dormitory, and another guy made the group complete. Every single year, they would organise a reunion, and I have accompanied mum to a couple of these events.

Of the four girls (mum being one of them), one passed away a few years ago. Breast cancer. Another became estranged from the group because as soon as she hit middle age, she seemed to have a mid-life crisis and became very flamboyant, and started dating other men. So that leaves mum and another close friend (who happens to be from the same hometown as mum, and who was with mum when she visited me in Canada back in 2008) and this guy.

The two came to visit mum at the hospital (with the uncle's wife, that made three people). They saw me in the corridor, as I was temporarily out of the room to get something. The auntie who is closest to mum (the one who came to Canada back in 2008), saw me and gave me  a big hug. "It's so good to see you again! It must be very hard on you..."

We quietly went into mum's room together, and there was already a big gathering, for the baby entourage had arrived (my brother and his whole family), and my cousin was also there too. Mum's friends sat themselves at mum's bedside. Mum looked at them weakly, and tried to smile. But she could not.

"You just rest, and let me do the talking!" said the auntie. She has always this very funny way of talking and expressing herself, and she often makes mum laugh whenever they get together. For the last couple of years, since dad passed away, this auntie would take the train from the southern part of the country just to come see mum and have a meal with her, and then return home again in the evening. That is true friendship, true and lasting. Mum told me that when they were in college, this auntie used to loan mum her dresses so mum could go on dates. Mum could not afford fancy things or afford to eat at fancy places, but this auntie was and has always been very kind and generous.

They sat around and did a lot of talking. The auntie got out pictures and showed mum her latest trip to Barcelona and thereabouts. There was a lot of laughing and talking, but I could see on mum's face that she was very tired. She did not say much, and when she did, it was more in response to questions about her condition.

Was it me, or did mum look sad? All these years, she always loved seeing these old friends and could chat with them for hours and hours, from lunch to afternoon tea to dinner. But now, mum could not really share in the excitement and fun of reunion. Her body is too weak, her mind too clouded by fatigue and traces of morphine... I held mum's hand and tried a couple of times to hint that perhaps mum is tired.

Mum's old friends stayed half an hour or so, and then got up to leave. "You take good care, and rest well..." They left with smiling faces, but I could sense deep down they were sad. So many years of friendship between them, and now perhaps they are visiting mum for the last time.

Once out of the room, the auntie hugged brother and me. "If there is anything, please let us know. We are all here." The auntie told brother something about arrangements afterwards, but I did not quiet catch what.

I bowed slightly as they entered the elevator and thanked them for coming all this way to visit mum. Though mum did not say much, I know she is very happy deep down, and very touched. 

No comments: