25 June 2012

Pain and morphine

"Doctor, the pain in the stomach...?"

"I just felt her abdomen, and it's bloated from the retention of liquids. We haven't done any scans yet, but most likely the cancer has progressed in the intestines, causing the swelling and occasional pain," he explained, "We can give her some morphine. Small doses to start with. It'll make her feel better." I thanked him, and he bowed his head gently before walking away.

I walked back into the room, and mum was languishing in bed. Today, more than ever, she has been very restless and asked to have her body shifted several times due to sores. Mum has become so weak that she cannot even shift her own legs, let alone turn her body so that she's not lying on just one side. These are signs, I fear... (but then again, I am not a trained medical expert...)

As the carer took half a day off, it was just my brother and me taking care of her. For much of the afternoon, mum lay there in bed with a lot of discomfort. At one point the nurse did come with a syringe containing the painkillers (3mg of morphine) which she injected into mum's IV. Mum felt a bit better, and within an hour or so fell asleep.

Mum spent most of the day in a state of waking moments of daze or sleep with her mouth open. At one point, she opened her eyes and saw me sitting by her side. She whispered (maybe not intentionally, but what sound she manages to muster these days is no more than a whisper): "I know it's been hard on you seeing me like this..." Mum's voice is almost inaudible now, and every-time I really have to strain close to her ears to hear her. I reassured her I would have it no other way. "I know, I'm very lucky. Even the monk said so..."

"Isn't this the best you could wish for? So many people who care about you, so many people coming to see you. You're with your children and grandchild. What more would you like? Would you like the president to come see you?" I joked. (It really was a joke, for the current president is an incompetent fool who's policies are jeopardising the survival of my homeland. He is not welcome here. I'd lynch him and shout abuse at him if I had the chance...)

"Would you like to go home?" I asked her. I told her about the dream I had the other day, the dream in which I was by her side at that final moment and when i said "Let's go home..." Mum weakly shook her head. I asked again whether she would like to be at the hospice or be at home "when that moment comes". 

"Here... I don't want to scare any of you..." mum said weakly.

"You won't scare us!" I said. By "scare" she means that she doesn't want to appear in her spirit form and frighten us after she passes, for according to local beliefs the spirit of the deceased will remain in the place of death for some time, often "haunting" the place until  the spirit can find a final resting place. "It is your home, you can go back to if you want to, if you feel most comfortable..." Mum dozed off before she said anything else. I held her hand for a little longer before I let go.

While talking to a nurse, I learned that fluids collecting in the stomach ( the medical term is ascites) may be caused by the thinning of blood vessels which cause whatever fluids in the circulatory system to escape into the body (whereas normally the fluids are contained in the blood). Another possible cause may be due to liver disease, and failure of the liver to process and reabsorb the waste fluids of the body. Both possibilities may explain mum's bloated stomach, for since last week the nurses have been unable to draw any blood from her veins, for they have become too dehydrated. It is also likely that mum is suffering from liver disease, as the bile fluids are unable to completely come out of the body, and the build of bile is not only causing jaundice, but also affecting the normal functioning of the liver...

Does it matter what the real reason is behind mum's latest complication? The reason we are at the hospice is not to treat, but to alleviate pain and suffering. And the first administering of morphine is a step in that direction. A worrying step, because I have seen before what morphine can do to her mind.

For most of the afternoon, I was pensive, a little shaken and saddened.  Mum ate next to nothing today. The bloatedness of her stomach and perhaps the morphine made her have even less of an appetite. The few moments when mum woke up, she is lost and confused, more than ever before.
At one point, just a little after six in the evening, and after sleeping for two hours or so, she woke up and murmured: "Why are you here? Go to sleep! It's still so early..." She thought she had slept all the way through till the morning. An hour later, she woke up, opened my eyes and saw me sitting by her side. She said: "It's so late already! Go to bed. Don't sit there..." Is it the morphine, or is it her malnourished body and brain that is causing her to have difficulty comprehending time and what is happening?

I do not know. But this is the way mum is now, and her condition seems to be deteriorating rapidly.
I sense a new stage of illness and difficulty has come.

No comments: