16 April 2012

Vomit

Happily, I rushed to the hospital thinking I've made something mum can finally enjoy after so long of not eating. Earlier, for lunch, I made her what she requested: egg fried rice with smoked salmon and chopped onions ad carrots. She ordered it, and I delivered it. Imagine my joy when she finished half a rice bowl of my fried rice, and even a few small slices of wax-apple and loquat!

Yesterday, the nurse came in and provided us with a list foods mum can now eat. The focus is on foods that are not too acidic (dairy and red meat are no-no...) and low in fibre, so that the intestines and digestive system can get used to digesting and expelling excrement after such a long break. Also a low-fibre diet can give the intestines time to repair and get used to the flow of things.

So for dinner I made fish soup, as recommended by the nurse, for fish is high in protein-- which mum needs for repairing her cells after surgery. And I cooked her some soft greens, a soft boiled egg, and noodles and added a bit of tea-tree oil, which is very good for lubricating the digestive system.

She took a bite of the noodles, and the smell of the tea-tree oil made her gag. She continued eating, because she did not want to disappoint me after I cooked her and excitedly brought food to her, but within minutes she was gagging and choking. Her stomach could not get used to the taste. Se gagged and choked for a while, and with each sound, each contorted facial expression, my heart ached... I was upset she could not eat what I made hr, but even more upset she was sort of forcing herself to eat because she did not want to disappoint me. "Why would you put your body through something like that? Why would you keep on eating if you didn't feel well with the first bite?!"

I cleared away the bag of vomit, and she leaned back on the armchair and looked so tired and deflated...

We are still not in the clear yet...

No comments: