18 April 2012

Blood transfusion

Is there such a thing as coincidence? Why did I just accidentally turn on the tv and tune into a programme talking about blood donations and transfusions? There was a lady on the show who said she distrusted the blood bank, and if needed would offer her own blood to a member of her family.

Mum just said she cannot yet go home. Her red blood cell count is far too low, so it is dangerous for her to be discharged. The doctor wants to do a blood transfusion. I raised an issue and said I'll come down for them to take my own blood. But I relented... I don't want to make a fuss, don't want to add more trouble. But to be honest I'm a bit afraid.

Mum said she understands the risks, especially after a scandal recently when someone was infected with HIV through a blood transfusion. But mum says the hospital should be especially vigilant now, and she is alright with the procedure. So I let it drop.

She sounded very down, I can imagine why, for she was so looking forward to sleeping at home today. I even came back to make her bed and clean up whatever I can.

But she looked very tired, and us indeed still very frail...

No comments: