18 April 2012

Dreamy afternoon

Having slept only a few hours at the hospital last night, because of very severe stomach cramps (I'm certain related to my uncle's passing and the conversations I had with mum about that...), I came home and wanted to take a nap. But the chance to accompany my little nephew to a children's clinic seemed too fun to miss, so I went with them.

It was pleasant to push my nephew around, pretending that I'm a dad. Of course, the real dad and mum walked behind me, hand in hand, and I was just an uncle trying to imagine what it's like to have a cute little child. As I pushed him around, I dreamed one day of having a child (or two?) of my own... How I could pamper the child, showed her/him with warmth, fun and love, teach him/her about life and the amazing things of this world. Somehow, imagining the conversation I would be having with my partner, like the ones my brother and sister-in-law have about raising the child ("He's sweating! He's too warm!" or "Oh, look at him crawl and flip over!" or "oh, look at him smiling!" or "Watch out! He's biting that thing he found on the floor!") made me smile and smile...

The doctor diagnosed my nephew with an inflammation of the intestines. Nothing too serious, but he'll need to cut down on trying out new foods for a few days. Just soupy rice and a bit of dried shredded pork and rice crackers for him now. And of course some prescribed medicine.

I was exhausted when we got back home at around ten in the morning, and dived into bed. I slept, but dreamed and dreamed a dozen dreams. I know my ex featured in one of them, but details are non-existent. I was even more tired when finally I woke up close to two.

I woke up to the sound of coughing and saw my brother and sister-in-law lie in their den. First my brother caught the cold, and now she's also hit the jackpot. Mum's in hospital, brother and his wife are ill, and so is my nephew.

I really need to be very careful...


No comments: