16 April 2012

Grandma

I saw my late grandma (dad's mother), perhaps for the first time ever in my dream. It was in her old home, the one where dad and his five other siblings grew up and lived in a shack of around 40 square metres right above the bicycle repair workshop my grandpa worked in till his death...

My grandma was showing me around, smiling so beautifully, despite her artificial set of teeth, like I remembered her. I spent so many summers at her place, and would often accompany her to the hospital as my aunts ad uncles had to work. I am sure it was from her that I picked up and soon improved my Taiwanese speaking abilities, for it was the only thing she understood (besides a little Japanese...). I remember she would often cook congee, for she had bad teeth, and there was a simple egg dish that she made especially well, and that still sticks to my memory. She and I would just sit around the old bike repair shop, and she would invite passerbys in for tea. So warm was she, so kind and generous...

She had liver disease that got worse and worse, and I remember her stomach getting bigger and bigger, filling with fluids she could not expel. I thought at the time she was pregnant again (silly, ignorant me!), but in truth she was in a lot of discomfort.

In the dream, she appeared so health and had no trouble walking up and down the stairs. I forget now what she said, but I remember she smiled so much, and the house looked as I remember it as a little boy. The bedroom where I used to take an afternoon nap in, the same one where dad and mum spent their wedding night... The other bedroom where my aunt told me all six children had to cramp onto one bed to sleep at night. And in the dream, I also saw the little balcony, full of pots of plants and ferns, and where grandma used to hang clothes out to dry.

I don't remember much else from the dream. But I suspect it may be triggered by the fact that my ex wrote to me, saying that his nan (his dad's
Mom) is in hospital.

It was a beautiful, pleasant dream for a change, and made me remember again the humble beginnings of where I came from, and what a warm-hearted and kind grandma I was so fortunate to have growing up...

No comments: