29 March 2012

Eva Air joins *Alliance!

Mum switched on the news early in the morning. It's good to fill the room with some other voice than just silence, which is often the language between us now.

I first heard talk about Eva Air, perhaps my favourite airline, so I turned to watch the screen. And then there was a shot of a bunch of officials stranding in front of a Star Alliance sign. "Eva accepted as Star Alliance member"!

I was suddenly elated! I've been anticipating this day when about a year ago news of talks between the airline and my alliance were leaked. I fly (almost) exclusively Star if given the choice (I'm loyal and don't like to "cheat"!). I'd even pay a bit extra and transfer two, three times if I have to just to fly a Star Alliance member to collect points. So for three years running I've attained Gold Member status, which gives me upgrades and also extra allowance and priority services. "I've earned it" as the *Alliance ad says!

I sat next to mum and was so excited! I've not been excited about anything much for a long time! "This means I can come back here more often! Direct flights and earn points!"

Mum didn't say anything. She had just vomited. I felt somewhat bad and out of place getting so excited by something as airline miles, when half an hour ago the doctor came in and talked to us about the big decision. And I was getting excited about flying and collecting miles and Gold Status!

I guess you need to distract yourself in the worst of times. You need to find something to make you feel excited, feel passionate and alive again, even if the one next to you looks and feels so tired and lethargic.

Just because we're facing a stark decision, a decision of life and quality of life, I still need to find reasons to smile and feel like an excited child again!

No comments: