15 June 2012

Restless night

Had such a restless night full of dreams which woke up me several times. Dreams of my ex, dreams of mum... Everytime I open my eyes, I turn my head and can just about see her lie there on her bed. I wonder what she is thinking, how she is feeling, and whether she is in a lot of pain...

Just before sleep last night, I wrote an email to my ex. He's been writing to me the last three days, short but encouraging emails. The way we said goodbye made it very difficult to know how to contact him. He said he would "deal with things". He even told a mutual friend that things would change "in the next twelve hours" (from the moment he went off to see his boyfriend with the intention of breaking up...). I left the country, and he did not even call to say goodbye, and instead just sent me a short text message to wish me a safe journey.

So I'm left unsure what his status is now, and am very uncomfortable contacting him. Why? Because he could have just been pretending and putting up a show till I leave. As far as I know, he could tell me he wants to deal with things, but instead doesn't because I'd be gone anyways...

My unease in contacting him comes from the fact that he's told me before I am manipulative and even hinted at the fact I use my mother's situation to influence his feelings toward me. I wrote to him because I wanted to let him know the conversation mum and I had about him the other day, when i told her, in an attempt to reassure her, that my ex cares a lot about me, and that is a possibility of a future between us.

And I asked him in my email something I've been meaning to ask him, because I see it and dream about it: to be there when I bid a final farewell to mum...

I don't know why, but I only feel comfortable for him to be there when he is no longer attached to anyone. I would like him to be there, because I imagine I would need someone to hold and to be with me. I would need someone I can be comfortable with and not have any reservations confiding in. And I cannot do that with just any person... I can do that with him, but only really when he is free from obligations to another. Otherwise, I'd feel like I'm hogging someone else's man and feel the need to hold back. And I feel when that day comes, I cannot afford to hold back my emotions and feelings...

Is it selfish of me to want my ex to be there by my side on perhaps the most challenging day of my life in a long time to come? Is it selfish to only want him to be there if he is free from engagements of a previous relationship? Is it selfish to want him all to myself? I just feel I need that, I deserve that, and I need that more than ever now that I am about to lose mum...

No comments: