14 June 2012

Mattress

Mum got upset, and I know I shouldn't make her upset. But I tried and tried to push what I wanted to do, and to get her approval so she would be ok with it, lest I just go ahead and 'defy' her wishes. Eventually she relented and agreed, or at least stopped protesting.

Mum said she has been having trouble sleeping, and that her back is sore, even though the hospice staff changed her mattress to a very comfortable foam one. But it still is not enough.

I verified. "Is the mattress I bought you comfortable? Do you sleep better in it? Do you feel less aches and sores even after a day or two? She just nodded. To me that was the deciding factor. Ae said that it would be a shame to vein that mattress to the hospital to be used, for fear of bacteria and disease. But as I reasoned with her, it even more of a shame if a mattress of that price tag were to lie there unused.

So I rushed home, reassure her many times that it would be no trouble at all. I quickly got the mattress with brother's help and stuffed it inside a suitcase and brought it back to te hospice ward. Within ten minutes of returning, the carer and managed to make the bed. Mum lay down, and she had a content look on her face.

"See, no trouble at all! As long as you're comfortable!"

Mum's eyes were a little red and moist.

It's really the least I could do for her...

No comments: