16 June 2012

Checking out

I went out to the corridor, and saw a crowd of people gathered around a room toward the end of a corridor. I suspected what was happening. I saw a lady whom I saw earlier during the day weeping and being consoled by a Buddhist nun. All I heard was the lady saying: "He has suffered so much..."

Two men wearing suits walked solemnly down the corridor toward the gathered crowd. They were wheeling a simple bed next to them. Their motion seemed to be in sync, in slow motion and ever so silent.

I came out to the corridor a few moments later. The crowd had left, and they were all gathered by the elevator ready to make the 21 storeys down. I walked quietly to where the crowd gathered. There was but an empty bed, and the room was deserted.

The man had indeed checked out, and the bed was made for the next patient to check in.

No comments: