19 June 2012

Night nurse

The night nurse came in for an inspection at half past ten. I was just about to retire to my little room and mattress on the floor when she came in. It was the same kind nurse who shared with me her experience of terminally ill patients and what signs to look for at the end...

The carer described  mum's condition today and  how much she ate and expelled. "Half a can of Ensure, half a cup of fruit juice, then nothing after ten in the morning," she said, "And for dinner, six spoonfuls of congee, two mouthfuls of vegetables. That's it." I was here almost all the time, and that really was it. Even the two pieces of wonton I saved her for lunch were uneaten, and I had to finish eating them at dinner...

"And she's not expelled much," the carer added, "Nothing since lunch time" Which was over six hours ago. I looked at the nurse to see her reaction. She stayed quiet, and looked like she was deep in thought. Was she thinking what I was thinking? Was she thinking what she told me the other day about patients not expelling much towards the end...?

Mum lay on her side, and she groaned a little. All this exchange took place in a whisper. I said not a thing, but just sat on the side as the nurse and the carer conversed about mum's condition... I looked at mum, looked at the nurse and carer. Again, there was a moment of realisation...

It may not be long...

No comments: