22 June 2012

Celebrations

There was a beautiful, joyous mood in the air. The nurses, volunteers and doctors gathered and clapped their hands as they sang "Happy Birthday" to all those who had gathered at the lounge. There were two elderly people in their beds, and a couple of other patients in wheelchairs, and a dozen relatives and friends there. The Happy Birthday song is often sung to the elderly and infirm. We believe everyday can be your birthday, every day can be a special and happy day, and not just your real birth-day.

There was plenty of fresh fruits-- sweet and sour mangoes, kiwis, grapes and apples, as well as bundles of steamed rice dumplings wrapped with lotus leaves. A volunteer played harmonica tunes of Taiwanese folksongs and even "On top of the world" by the Carpenters. Later when I read the lyrics again, I realised how meaningful they were:

Everything I want the world to be
Is now coming true especially for me
And the reason is clear
It's because you are here
You're the nearest thing to heaven that I've seen

I'm on the top of the world looking down on creation
And the only explanation I can find
Is the love that I've found ever since
you've been around
Your love's put me at the top of the world 



The celebrations were part of the Dragon Boat Festival, which is tomorrow (the fifth day of the fifth month in the Lunar Calendar). I sat in the lounge with all these relatives and patients, nurses and doctors, and I clapped along when patients grabbed the microphone and sang their joy out. Mum was too tired, too sleepy to come out. Since she became very ill, she has been avoiding crowds. A few times during the morning when the nurse and volunteers excitedly came to invite to the party, she seemed very tempted. But in the end, she did not want to. It was disappointing, for she has not left her room for over a week, and not left her bed for almost as long. I went to the lounge  and only stayed for a little while before I headed back to the room to join her.

Even in her room, we could hear the live piano recitals and karaoke. I took mum's hand, and mouthed some of the songs, one of which is a Taiwanese song called "Holding my hand".

"Hold my hand, drenching in the rain,
Hold my hand, following your footsteps,
Hold your hand, walking our path,
Hold your hand, unafraid of difficulties..."

Just as mum was about to fall asleep again, there was a knock at the door. A man in a long white robe
came in with another doctor we had not seen before. It was the director the ward. In both their hands they had plates of fruits and rice dumplings, and even a decorative pouch filled with scented herbs as a gift. "Happy every day," the director said to mum. She smiled and smiled so much and was so touched by the personal visit and the food and gift they brought.

"I am so lucky to be here..." she said.

So the Dragon Boat Festival is upon us. But aside from the celebrations, there is a sinister side that to the festival that has not escaped my mind...


No comments: