18 June 2012

Discomfort

"What's wrong? Tell me!"

"Stop bothering me!" mum shouted and contorted her face. She was in a lot of pain, but she would not say where or why. I can't help her if she does not say why... And it hurts that she's shouting back at me.

I held her hand, swallowed my hurt. I know she does not mean it. I know she does not want to get angry. But the physical pain can be so overwhelming, can swell the emotions with anger and frustration. That's why mum bursts out. She cannot control it. She cannot help it...

"Would you like some water? Chapstick for your dry lips?" I gave her a sip of warm water, just the way she likes it. She pointed to the perfume humidifier. "Relax a bit..." She meant turn it on, and let the scent of lavender fill the air. Let the relaxing scent fill the room.

My hurt dissipated. It is not her fault.
Mum is in pain, but she cannot help her anger...

No comments: