22 February 2012

Physical exam

Heading out to the hospital, this time for myself. Though the feelings of bloatedness and at times burning pain in my bowels have subsided (I still feel it at times...) I feel it's time for me to get a checkup. I found a package at Wangfang Hospital, where mum received her CyberKnife treatment. I've had a good impression of the hospital since I first went there, for the staff are extremely friendly, the environment is much cleaner and 'happier' looking, and the facilities are very new (unlike at the hospital mum goes to normally close to our house, at least as far as the overall environment is concerned.). This package involves a thorough checkup of the digestive system, including colonoscopy and endoscopy, as well as scans of the entire body and blood tests. With the family history of cancer in the bowel area, I feel more the need to be careful and get checked regularly. In a way, I'm becoming paranoid, especially seeing my mum's health deteriorate like this... Without wanting to sound selfish or uncaring, I really do not wish to be like that... For it is so much suffering, so much pain, and robs you of your life...

It will be my second thorough body check, for the last was two years ago. And the actual check up day is in five days. I do need to go pick up so papers and make a downpayment, and they will need to brief me on what I should be ware of eating prior to the physical.

On the way, I'm stopping by the national bike association for some info on my upcoming big adventure. I saw online that you can rent a gps device, and if you manage to complete the journey around the island you can get a certificate. More importantly, the device can help people at home keep up to date with my progress and see where I am. Also, if i wish to solicit sponsorship for my cause, there is no better way to prove that I've completed the challenge I set out to accomplish.

But renting the device is not cheap, at some NT$800 (including a NT$3000 deposit). And in a way, I'm a little apprehensive wether I will be able to finish the journey in one go, because I'm a bit afraid of that if there is something with mum, or even with me, I may have to cut short my journey...

But I will never know until I try.

No comments: