25 February 2012

Test run

I have not really ridden a bike in Taipei before. I did, around two years ago with mum but not really that far. Just a little spin on a bike borrowed from a neighbour of ours back then.

Tonight, I felt like riding my new bike, so I grabbed it and left. I needed the time alone, I needed to feel the wind in my hair and to vent my frustrations. I needed to remind myself of the joys in life that I can still enjoy, even if on my own. And I also need to prepare somewhat for the upcoming (planned) trip around the island...

It was somewhat scary at first, riding in traffic, for this city (or perhaps this country) is notorious bad traffic and 'bad' driving. Scooters, buses, taxis, cars... And let's not mention stray pedestrians. So many all cramming the streets at the same time. And I am on a bike, fighting, it seems, for space. And I have this terrible habit of liking to go fast...

I got out of the crowded sections and found myself on a cyclepath that followed a stream which eventually led into one of the rivers that surround the big metropolitan Taipei area. I've heard of the extensive network of paths along the rivers, but never really seen them. And tonight was my first ride on just one of them.

And it was amazing! The path is so smooth, and meanders along some very scenic places of the city, allowing me a view I have never seen before. Though it soon began to rain, and thus time to head home, I did a good 20km or so, and had my first experience on my bike, and on the roads of Taiwan.

I look forward to more...

No comments: