29 February 2012

Apology

"I'm sorry for this..." my uncle (mum's youngest brother) said to me on the phone. He said it two, three times while we spoke for five minutes.

"Don't apologise. I'm just doing what I need to do."

He apologised again and again, perhaps because he didn't know what else to say. He saw the other day how sickly mum has gotten, but didn't realise it has reached an extent that she must be readmitted to the hospital. Never a good sign. I was shocked myself and unable to believe when the nurse weighed her at check in that she is now 48.2kg... Skin and bones, just skin and bones now.

He said he wants to come see mum again soon, but I told him not to worry, for I am here. He has a very stressful job already and he lives in another part of the country so I didn't want my uncle to have too much trouble. But I know he will visit soon, for he cares deeply about his older sister.

"I'm sorry to trouble you like this..." Trouble me? My own mother trouble me? I'm tired, yes, I really am tired, and it did not escape me that mum was readmitted to hospital almost exactly two months to the day I returned here. But taking care of mum, making sure she gets better, stronger, even if temporarily, is no "trouble" at all. If I could only see a smile on her face, if only I could hear her say " I'm feeling fine today!" that is enough.


No comments: