23 November 2011

Patient

Just got off the phone with my second "client" (it sounds strange to call them that, as I'm just a volunteer...). I don't know why I was almost moved to tears.

She sounded like a lovely lady, soft spoken and a little worried about her upcoming appointment. She was nervous about missing the appointment, for it is an extremely important one, one in which she will do scans and take samples of her lungs. They found black 'spots' in them, and the fear is that it may be malignant...

Hearing that, I was moved. She reminded me a little of my mum, and part of the reason why I want to give up my time to help others... because I can't help my mum, at least I can do what I can to help those who need help.

Even though I was moved and almost tearing, I braced myself, and told her: "Please don't think too much. Let's just see how things go. Please don't worry too much." I hope my words reassured her, for sometimes, even though I've never met her, even though I don't know her at all, the words of a complete stranger can be comforting and reassuring.

"See you Monday," I said. And she was ever so grateful, even though I have not done anything at all yet.


No comments: