22 November 2011

Operation Surprise Visit

OK, I have to admit being naughty and writing something that is not completely true.

Truth is, I have been planning to pay a surprise visit to my friend while he is back home in Europe. In fact I have been in touch with his parents trying to arrange something without his knowledge. And just yesterday, despite having shamelessly asked if I could visit and stay over for a couple of days, I was surprised to hear from his mum that I am always welcome.

So as soon as my friend booked his ticket (with me sitting by his side, looking down and saying things like "Oh, how great you're going home..." or "Oh, I so wish I could come along too..."), I went to the side and started to check tickets. I know, it's completely devious and evil for misleading him like that... Slap me, deduct karma points from me, but I'm doing this to build up to the big surprise, which I hope will be so funny and memorable when everything comes together and goes according to plan! I'm doing  this to cheer my friend up, and give him a special something for his birthday (besides another surprise gift I've got planned...)

And I did book my flights the very next morning. It was a good deal, just under seven hundred dollars, compared to some thirteen hundred, which is what I paid for when I booked my flight to go back to Europe around Christmas time (I'll cancel that soon...)

I've got it all planned out... fly home to visit my brother and my newborn nephew for a few days, and just in time for Dutch Christmas (Sinterklaas). Then, head to my friend's place and ring the bell (I'm hoping perhaps the parents could try and keep him at home that day...) I'm staying two days, and then on the last day, I'll be on the same flights as him and we'll fly back to Montreal together. Remember, I was right there and noting the times and dates of his flights when he booked his trip, so I know exactly what his itinerary is (and he rarely changes his plans...).

I'm smiling now, at the cleverness and clandestineness of the plot I'm hatching together with his parents, who have been ever so supportive and cooperative. Soon we will see how it all works out...
And I look forward to that moment when I'm standing on his doorstep.




No comments: