28 January 2011

Engagement

Early morning, mum and I took the high speed rail down to the centre of the country, to Taichung, the hometown of my sister-in-law (to be). Though it was gray and cold in Taipei, as soon as we got off the train, the sun shone through the clouds.

"A beautiful day it is," I said. We went into the hotel where the reception is held, and the bride and bridemaids had already checked into a room the night earlier. They were already made up when mum and I walked into the room. Brother stood on one said, looking cheerful and had a smile on his face that would not fade for the rest of the day.

There are many rites and rituals to obide, if we were to follow true Taiwanese custom. But both sides felt that it is no longer necessary, especially given that most of the traditions have lost their touch on my generation, much to the ire of some of the elders in the family. Instead, it was a wedding with a blend of modern and western with local roots.

There were over a hundred people, I would imagine, from both sides of the family. I stood by mum most of the time, and greeted guests with drinks and cheers. Congratulations, well-wishes, and good lucks were the norm, and the bride and groom (to be) regularly walked around the reception hall with glasses to toast all those who have come, from near and far.

The decor, the music, the kind, sweet words of greetings and blessings, and the image of the couple walking hand in hand down the aisle was so touching. I wore a tailor-made jacket from a piece a fabric that dad had left behind for me, and I silently wished he could be here to see and enjoy all this. When my aunt (dad's older sister) heard about the story of my jacket, I spotted a tear in her eyes.

It was a beautiful day indeed, and a beautiful engagement party, despite the uncertainties earlier about whether it would take place or not. In the end it did take place, and doubt filled people's hearts with warmth, love and joy. It certainly made my mum laugh and smile widely, and for many, many moments today, forget her illness, forget her troubles, but live in the happiness and celebrations of the couple.

I too was touched by the whole event, and deep down inside, I missed and thought of my friend, and wished he was there to share the experience.

2 comments:

jo said...

So very happy to know that the cermony went well! Also the happiness it had laid on everyone involved! Just came up a thought: do believe that the love you're keeping and sharing now will remain and found the future base of your own happiness, in whichever form.

Love and warm hugs, enjoy the big day.

Formosa said...

thanks for the profound message! I believe it, and know also that I'm very fortunate in many ways to be surrounded by people who care so much...