24 January 2011

Painful dreams

The ground swayed, and I was swaying with it. I could see the wooden floor boards move apart, and slide against one another in opposite directions, in back and forth motions. The walls seemed to buckle and crumble like dust. Mum was with me, and I told her to quickly get under a big wooden table for shelter...

The last thing I remember was the ground continuing to sway, and sitting under the table with mum.

I stirred from my sleep, and heard mum get up to use the bathroom. It was just after 5am. As she laid down, I could hear her twist and turn in bed. Occassionally, sighs and groans would escape her mouth. Painful sighs, painful groans. I heard her rub her arm, as she twisted and turned in bed, trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in.

The minutes seemed to last eternity... each passing minute, filled with the sighs and groans of pain of a loved one lasts an eternity. I cannot imagine the pain, the soreness of her arm that is causing mum to be  so restless, so agitated. I imagined the source of the injury, which as far as I know is the C-7 section of the spine compressing on her nerves. The pain and soreness comes and goes, but sometimes it is especially acute, causing her to groan and sigh.

I cannot describe how much I hurt deep down hearing her sigh and groan... I really cannot. What can I do to take away her pain? What can I do to soothe her agitation...?

In my head when I close my eyes, images of surgery, of being paralysed, of her slipping away, of her motionless body in a hospital bed flash and flicker like scenes from a terrible nightmare...

No comments: