27 January 2011

Wedding planner

"When it's your wedding, your brother better do the same for you," mum's friend said. I just smiled, and looked at mum, who looked genuinely happy.

Maybe my brother will also run around town and spend hours shopping for this and that one day in preparation for the big wedding day when (or if!) that day comes for me. Maybe he won't. Whatever the answer, I'm just glad that I can help and contribute to the success and happiness of the upcoming big day (despite the uncertainties before, the latest I heard is that the wedding is still on, and somehow the dust has settled).

There were so many things to pick up, from heart stickers to cards, from a guest book to gifts, sweets and chocolates. I also wanted to create little pouches containing goodies for guests to take home after the wedding, and I came across jade amulets for a bargain, so I bought a whole bunch, and readied myself for a night of packing and wrapping.

Mum's friend also came up with the idea of 'livening' up the wedding with a game, so I got some little gifts to give away. The idea is that under random seats I'm going to place a heart (poker) card, whoever happens to sit on that chair has to get up and say something nice to the newly weds. If s/he does that, the person will get a gift! So far, I have stuffed animal couples, cute key chains, monkey figurines (both my brother and the bride-to-be were born in the Monkey year), and there's even a Delft Blue house (one I got on a recent trip with KLM on business class...) that's going to the special prize! On each of the dining tables, I bought heart-shaped gold tin wrapped Ferrero Rocher chocolates, to make the mood even more exquisite

I happily came home, and started preparing things, writing little notes and wellwishes for the new couple. Somehow, I feel so happy to be doing all this, somehow knowing that all the things I'm doing will eventually make this whole event, which until now has been confronted with obstacle after obstacle, more joyful and special.

No comments: