26 January 2011

Soup

Day two of mum's chemo, and mum threw up almost as soon as soon she woke up. In these few days, her health and appetite is precarious, and she has to be careful what she eats. As her mouth and tongue has lost much of their sensations of taste, in order to eat, she has to eat in little portions spread throughout the day, and preferably foods that are nutritious and strong tasting, and can quickly replenish her white blood cells.

Onions, asparagus, oranges, grapes, broccoli, tomatoes... these are just some of the foods that will help create white blood cells faster, but also act as anti-oxidants. So I made mum noodles this evening, and a tomato-based sauce/soup, filled garlic and onions, to go with it. The sauce was strong in taste, naturally salty and sour from the fresh organic tomatoes I had diced and boiled to a pulp.

I gave her only half a bowl, but within 10minutes, she had emptied it. She burped and a strange noise escaped her mouth. At first, I thought she would throw up, but instead, she wiped her mouth and said it was delicious.

I cannot describe how happy it makes me to see her eat everything, even if it's not much. Even happier, because it's healthy, and will hopefully restore her health back to normal 'again', and, most important of all, I made it myself.

No comments: