30 May 2012

Chocolates

I saw a box of chocolates at a store. The chocolates were being sold as part of a fundraising campaign. I already have bags of chocolates at home, accumulated from a recent spree to collect air miles. But upon closer look I did not hesitate again to make a donation and grab a box of chocolate coated almonds.

The campaign was for the Quebec foundation for the handicapped, and with pictures of wheelchairs, I imagine it is to raise funds to buy new equipment. The image of mum sitting in a wheelchair crossed my mind... I pushed her around in a wheelchair for a while, because she was at times simply too weak to stand on her two feet. Now she has become even weaker, and I can only imagine that wherever she goes, she goes in a wheelchair.

I have perhaps till now neglected how hard it is for wheelchair users to get around. Once, feeling playful, I sat in mum's wheelchair and tried to wheel myself around for ten minutes against the uneven pavement, the bumpy road surfaces, and the gradient slope of a hill. It was so very difficult. And from that day on I realised what obstacles wheelchair users face every day...

I put in a little contribution, for wheelchair users, for mum.


No comments: