16 March 2012

Operation Reunion

17032012.1504

Brother looked so terribly sad, frowning and almost in tears. Poor him, waking up in the morning and having to receive news of mum's latest diagnosis as soon as he opened his eyes. Mum did not go much into detail when they spoke, and I stayed quiet on the side to let them have their moment together. I wrote to brother and said I'll speak to him more over the weekend. We need to have a real chat.

Brother's been calling almost everyday, at my urging. I've been writing to him, asking him to contact mum more often. Otherwise, before he would only call once a week, if that. You never know when or how, but I do know death can often leave the people left behind filled with regret, deep deep regret. Regret that weighs heavily on the mind, and may always, always linger, even with time. But this can be prevented.

I've also been asking my sister-in-law to put more pictures and videos of my nephew on Facebook. I often show mum pictures of what i have on my phone, but they are from a month or so ago. And in a way, I'm afraid that mum seeing her "old" self, even from a month ago, may be difficult for her...

Really, seeing my nephew is the only thing that makes mum smile and makes her temporarily forget about her illness and her pains. And any temporary relieve or escape from pain and suffering is very welcome.

With the pending readmission into hospital, I asked my sister-in-law to bring my nephew to Taipei to be with his grandma for a few days. Otherwise, my sister-in-law and nephew are due to return to Europe in a week or two. And if they come visit later, mum will be in hospital, where it'll be harder for my nephew to visit.

Operation Reunion is a new "project" I am planning to adapt to the new diagnosis and changing circumstances. The goal is to bring this family as close together as possible, in any possible way. To unite this family, and reassure mum and all of us, that we are still a family no matter what happens.

Originally, I had planned to bring everyone together in Canada for my graduation in June (in fact, I got an email today reminding me to register for my gown...). But more and more with mum's deteriorating health, that the dream may very likely not be happening. Mum is simply too weak, and with the latest complications and pending surgery it's even less likely that mum will be able to travel far.

So if I can't bring mum and the family together, why not bring the family to mum? I've been thinking about it for a few days already. My brother and his family visiting me in Canada can always wait, the ticket I bought them can always be cancelled. But time together as a whole family, that may not be able to wait, that cannot be cancelled, for what could be more important? So I told my brother it's best if instead of going to Canada they came back here again. If need be, I'll make the necessary travel arrangements.

There is nothing worth more than a family brought together. There is nothing worth more to see mum smile and laugh with her children and grandchild.

Those memories, those laughs, those smiles are something to look forward to, something to cling onto in the face of the difficult, difficult days ahead.



No comments: