13 March 2012

Consultation

For so several nights, mum has been waking up and vomiting at night. As soon as I hear the washroom door open, I rush to help her. She does not sleep well, and neither do I...

She was so frail today, I had to hold her arm or otherwise she might fall. We struggled to go to one of her many appointments this week, today with the neurosurgeon who operated on her spine. He was compassionate and sat down with mum for a good twenty minutes or so, but he is a neurosurgeon, not a gastroenterologist. While mum was at the hospital two weeks back, she did a scan, and the scan revealed that there seems to be  a blockage or swelling in the duodenum, the section connecting the stomach and the small intestines. The swelling, unknown in origin, may be the likely cause of mum's severe vomiting and inability to eat. Mum was told to return home, and see what the endoscopy planned for tomorrow reveals. Asked whether given mum's frail condition staying in hospital is necessary (I have for several days tried to persuade mum to go to ER...), the neurosurgeon said there is really very little they can do until a more invasive and thorough examination of mum's stomach is conducted. An examination mum has been waiting for for over two weeks, and for a period during which she has been constantly vomiting... All because they cannot arrange a "painless endoscopy" in short enough...

I have become so afraid, so pained seeing mum vomit, for after such a long time, and seeing her vomit every single day, it makes you wonder how much longer mum's body can take this. Seeing mum get thinner and thinner, weaker and weaker has, especially in the past few days, exacerbated fears that she may lose so much weight and strength that her body will just 'shut down', give up... In one word, die.
It really kills me to see her continue to suffer like this, and to have to keep on waiting to see what exactly is wrong with her...

"Go home, and drink liquids. Drink plenty of water, juices," the doctor said, "It's better than having IV drips if your body can still absorb nutrients the natural way." I trust the doctor, and was reassured somewhat. But really how much can mum's body absorb when almost everything she eats or drinks comes out? I really am all out of ideas of what to give her, and all I've been giving her are these high-protein shakes, which mum can at times drink without vomiting fully.

Before heading home, we walked slowly to the level with all the surgical wards. There, the family of my mum's first brother, were sitting and waiting. My uncle was diagnosed with Stage 0 colon cancer about two weeks ago. Though it is not serious, the doctor recommended a surgical resection to remove that section of the colon to prevent it growing and spreading. And today, my uncle went in for a procedure that last some 9 hours. I consoled my cousins, who were all very anxious and worried. Luckily, the last I heard was that the operation went as planned, and my uncle is now recovering.


No comments: