23 October 2011

Quietly arriving

I hate having to lie, but at times, to avoid complications and trouble, you "have" to (of course, it's always a matter of choice and conscience). And I had to today when I entered the country.

"What is the purpose of your visit?" Visiting relatives, they live in Surrey. This is true. What may be suspect is why I'm visiting for sixty days, until the end of December, when I'm scheduled to leave the country next.

 But he didn't ask why or how, and I didn't say. In fact, I'm just visiting my relatives for two days, and then I'm going back to my own home...

"You live in the Netherlands?" Yes (well at least I used to, until three years ago...) Living somewhere is kind of a 'fluid' concept, right? I mean, i technically could go there whenever I want, as i have the key to the house... And some of my mail still goes there. The mail might get to me a month or so later, but still, it'll get to me.

"What kind of work do you do there?" I'm a student. This is true.  Only, I study here, in Canada, not "there" (well, technically, "there" in Montreal...).

After asking what kind of food I have with me, the border agent compared my passport picture with the guy standing in front of him. Perhaps the guy looked a little dazed, a little red in the eyes from lack of sleep and having watched too many movies. and his hair was unkempt, and to the astute eye or nose, you could tell the guy was wearing one-day old clothes, but it's the same guy, more or less, after 16 hours of tortuous journeying across the globe.

Stamp here, scribble with red ink there, and he handed back my passport and customs declaration. Relieved I was, and somewhat surprised it went so smoothly. I was expecting a host of questions and being dragged to aside for questioning or even a body search. But I was spared, and given a friendly welcome instead.

Into Canada I stepped, and within ten minutes of landing I exited the airport terminal, greeted the sun and a whole new day with my cart lade  with three big suitcases.

Just visiting this time... Visiting my little black and white cat, visiting my university, visiting my long overdue thesis, visiting my two bedroom apartment and all my life possessions.

We're all visitors in this world anyways, and now I officially am one according to the government of Canada.

No comments: