06 September 2011

Sushi

 I just came out of the  French language course I started. it was late and I was hungry. Quickly I went to pick up sushi from a place that was closing and made my way to the cinema where I was supposed to meet my friend.

I walked and walked, and by the bright shop window of a high end fashion store, saw a bearded homeless man begging. His face was soiled, but he had a warm smile. Before him, in a blue upturned cap, were a few meager coins. I smiled at him, and he smiled even more back. I gestured with my sushi, wanting to offer it to him.

But selfishness and my own hunger took over me, and I stopped my gesturing before he really noticed and quickly walked on by. I walked quickly and left the man behind me.

But though i had left him behind, his image did not escape me  as I hungrily devoured my sushi.

I felt terrible, however hungry I was, he must have been hungrier. I ate a few pieces out the box and quickly walked back. I saw him and approached slowly.

I felt terribly embarrassed. perhaps he recognized me. I bent down and handed him the remaining five pieces cucumber rolls. Not much, really not much, perhaps even too little. He could have had a whole box when i walked by him the first time. But despite my embarrassment and shame, he greeted me again with a smile, and as he took the box with both hands and sincere gratitude, a "Thank you".

"Have a good night" I wished him He certainly made mine, and I left him feeling warmed inside.

No comments: