05 September 2011

Love drug

This friend I met recently told me that love is like a drug. It induces chemical reactions that make you addicted and yearning for more. It's more than just a feeling, an emotion, but when you're lacking it,  changes in your brain and body actually occur that make you experience a "low"... You become agitated, impatient, and look for ways to satisfy your needs and desires.

The point is, after a breakup and you're still hanging around the ex, the same sense of familiarity and comfort and all that is related to what we call 'love' is triggered. But it's not healthy. Imagine an addict trying to wane off a drug, and then being exposed to it now and then. How is he going to recover if the addictive substance is dangled in front of his face from time to time? The recovery and rehab will no doubt be more painful, and take much longer.






So cut the source of the addiction. At least for a while.

But I do miss him deeply... his presence as a rock in my life, as the source warmth and light that keeps me safe at night. If anything, he is the best friend I have ever had. And how do I let go of that so easily?

No comments: