19 September 2011

ça marche



"David...
Jacob...
Jean-Claude...
Marie-Claire..."

Names. Such common names of common people. I heard my name, and the name of my newborn nephew. And that chilled me so.

Names. Lists of names. Faceless names, names of people I have never met, and I will never ever have the chance to meet. A slight shiver went up my spine. Chilling, haunting, sad...

I walked slowly on as more names were read out over a microphone, alternating between the solemn voice of man and a woman. The sun was so bright, yet for a few moments there was an atmosphere of gloom as the names of victims of AIDS were read out. Silent dancers dressed in black moved their bodies in tortured movements.

A number of marchers stood quietly and looked down. A girl wiped the tear from the corner of her moistened eye. A white balloon attached to the zipper of a friend, which till this point had been flying wildly in our faces, seemed to bow in respect.

With a number of friends, I embarked on my third Ça Marche walk. There were many wearing matching white T-shirts, the back of which you could write how many marches you have attended. For many it was the first time, but I saw one who was taking part for the fifteenth time.

Another beautiful morning, and it began again at a square colloured by red and white balloons and people from all walks of life. Children, families, gay couples, the young and the old, and even dogs joined the walk to raise awareness about AIDS and demystify common misconceptions. Because, as one clever placard read, "Judging spreads AIDS". A powerful ad campaign by La Vie portrays couples holding one another and engaged in very intimate acts. But all over their bodies are symbolically the arms and hands of their past partners. when you sleep with someone, you also sleep with their past, goes the caption.

A little care, a little precaution, a little more understanding and compassion can go a long, long way...



No comments: