24 December 2012

Christmas Eve

I rushed home to cook dinner, braised duck breast, asparagus and leek and mushroom ragout. To finish it off, apple crumble pie.

My brother kept on complaining the duck was overcooked. My nephew was somehow wild and unruly tonight, especially after opening his gifts.

It was pleasant while it lasted, and most of  the attention was on the baby. He got so many gifts, from his dad and his mum, and also from his uncle... Lots of books, and even a colourful wooden carving I bought with mum in Halifax last July. The boy was so excited that it took him till well past his bed time to fall asleep, after a long and severe crying session that really tested the patience of both his parents...

After the baby fell asleep, that's Christmas Eve over. My brother's downstairs using his computer, my sister-in-law is probably already sleeping. Like any other day really... I think they even had an argument about the baby and his crying. I feel the tension...

Maybe I've fantasised too much about Christmas, about how I'd like it to be... A loving atmosphere with the people you care about most... Warm, with family, laughing, sharing lives and talking about what we've been through all these years, what we've been through this year especially. Shouldn't time together as a family be about sharing and being together, instead each person doing his/her own thing?

But no, it feels really cold and lonely. I'm up in my room, packing my bags for the day after when I have to leave...

I think I've probably overstayed my welcome as well... It's been almost ten days, time to go home...

No comments: