26 December 2012

AMS-EWR-YUL

AMS-EWR-YUL

261212.1537
Second day of Christmas, and what a long day and long trip it has been.

Already from checking in at AMS this morning, I had to buy a new suitcase because one of mine was overweight. It's ridiculous, because all I did was spread the things I wanted to carry into a new bag. I don't know if it's due to labour regulations that each item must not exceed 32kg... But a guy in front of me had 36kg and be passed through without a problem. Well, I did exceed the allowance by almost 10kg, so I can't really complain...

And then arriving at Newark, I had to wait over three and a half hours because my original flight was delayed. I was rebooked on AirCanada (originally United) and because I was flying a different airline, different luggage policies apply. My suitcase exceeded the allowance by two pounds. Yes, two whole pounds.

"You have to remove some items, sir. It's our luggage policy..." Two pounds. I grumbled, but the lady was adamant policy is policy. In the end, right there at the checkin counter, I opened my suitcase, took out a pair of jeans and a jacket. The second time I had to do that and work up a sweat before boarding the plane.

"There..." That finally satisfied the checkin counter lady.

I am exhausted... I am just so looking forward to going home, going back to my own home, for it's been a month, but feels so much longer than that. But then there's the immigration hurdle I need to overcome, tell them I'm "visiting" when I've got three suitcases, one of which has a vacuum cleaner. Who visits a country with a vacuum cleaner, I wonder...

I look forward to going home, but I won't be alone. My ex will be there. He's been staying at my place for the past month or so in my absence. How will it be, I wonder? My idealist and dreamy mind imagines intimacy and intense bonding, for it has been so long, and I think of him a lot. but then again, who knows what he has been up to, whether he thinks of me still in the same way, and whether he's consciously or not playing with my heart again...?

No comments: