27 December 2012

Night out

The music and colourful display of human dexterity and ingenuity touched me. The Cirque du Soleil never disappoints and always inspires and moves you. I watched the performances of such hardworking acrobats, and was awed. And saddened. The last time I watched something similar was with mum, albeit on a DVD, at the hospice...

At one point I was moved to tears. Mum and I have been to two live shows together, and the last one, we watched over the course of two days, at lunch time if I remember correctly. She was already close to the end, but I tried hard to inspire her, amaze her, instill her worn mind and body with whatever sense of amazement and wonder I imagined the Cirque could bring her. It worked, if only for a few brief moments. I remember mum watched in awe and at times did not blink, for in blinking you risk missing amazing moments of each well choreographed act...

"Did you like it?" I asked her. She nodded excitedly. We watched "Alegria", the classic show the name of which means "jubilation" in Spanish. The theme song is one of my favorite of all times:

"Alegria
I see a spark of life shining
Alegria
I hear a young minstrel sing
Alegria
Beautiful roaring scream
Of joy and sorrow,
So extreme
There is a love in me raging
Alegria
A joyous,
Magical feeling"

And tonight, I asked my ex the same words: "Did you like it?" He nodded, and on his face was a clear sense of delight and enjoyment.




No comments: