04 May 2012

All in a day

03052012.1234

I woke up early, even though I slept late. I was up till after one packing my suitcase, and dismantling my bike to get it ready for storage before I leave. As I took the bike apart, I was saddened by the fact I've only really used it twice. Once, a spin at night, which was cut short by a storm. Another day during the day, and the furthest I got was south of the city. My hopes and plans to bike around the island, one hundred km a day, never was realised. Mum got ill, and got worse and worse. Originally scheduled for end of February, I postponed till mid-March, then later April. I thought perhaps with brother's return I could find free days to realise my dream, or at least part of it. But he was barely around. And now the rain season has set in (even though the forecast rain never came today...), it's less likely I'll be able to use my bike. So into the bike bag and under mum's bed it goes... Until next time, when I have more time and when it's meant to be...

I woke up late in order to visit dad. I wanted to take a taxi and intercept an intercity bus at a stop on the hill not far from where I live. But by the time I arrived, I suspected the bus already came and left. The driver offered to take me, and we agreed to a price. Mum, when she heard how much I paid, laughed. But he was an old man, probably near his seventies, and for the ride through the mountains to dad's resting place, including wait time for me to pay my respects, I thought it was reasonable. When he took me back into the city, I said I needed to do some errands (one to get a wrench for my bike, and then buy some noodles that my brother did not have time to buy...), and the guy patiently waited for me. I even had time to go home and get some light change of clothes before I rushed to the hospital. And the taxi driver took me all the way. So I was grateful.

Before the ancestral altar I knelt and silently prayed. It's always the same... Asking the ancestors for protection, asking for their blessings, asking them to watch over my family, especially mum, and brother's family. I went to pray also before dad's urn, which I gently and silently kissed as I "spoke" to him. I told dad the time has come for me to leave. I said I don't know if I should be leaving, but that I have plans to study and to take an exam. And I told that I'll be attending my graduation, and hope that I can make him proud...

"Please take good care of mum," I pleaded, "Please give her strength and energy, so she can go home soon and recover..." There is really nothing I would ask for. I just wanted mum to get better, so she doesn't have to spend every single moment of the day in that hospital ward...


Later, close to lunch, I arrived in mum's room, and she was surprised, for I told her last night I'd be headed straight to the south to see my relatives. But I surprised her with "longevity noodles", roasted pork knuckle and soy-sauce boiled egg (traditional foods eaten on the day of your birthday to welcome good fortunes and good health). She had little appetite, but she did get up to eat a little, and I was so happy to see her eat without feeling sick or throwing up. As she ate, I wished that the symbolic foods would indeed bring her good fortunes and better health.

No comments: