23 April 2012

T tube



I sat anxiously on her bed and waited with mum outside the fluoroscopy room. Even with classical music playing on my iPhone, I could not quell my worries. Though mum seemed able to doze off. Occasionally, I touched her legs and feet in a way to let her know I'm here, I'm right by her side.

The last time she was here was close to three weeks ago, when she had an NJ tube inserted to stop her from vomiting. Now that the bypass surgery seems to have been successful, she's been able to eat and the vomiting to merely one or two mouthfuls a day, if at all. It's a dramatic improvement. But jaundice, the yellowing of her skin caused by the inability to expel bile, has rid her of her appetite again. She's become so terribly frail and thin again, and is barely able to stand for more than a few minutes...

This time, the doctor wanted to insert a T tube (not sure what the T stands for...), which will penetrate the biliary tree (group of vessels leading from the gallbladder which produces bile), so as to drain the bile that for a while has been unable to pass out of her body. I read on a notice board that long term bile retention will cause not just the skin and eye whites to become eye yellows, but also cause body poisoning and even liver failure. Hopefully, it has not come to that...

Mum was wheeled into the fluoroscopy room, and I stood by her, held her arm until I was told to go. Earlier I saw a notice saying when children need to undergo a medical intervention, parents or carers should remain by their side to calm the children. I don't understand why this is only limited to patients who are children...

I was so tired after I left the room, and feeling somewhat ill. I've been skewing late to study, and get woken up when the daytime carer arrives before seven, so not much sleep. I was told that the procedure would take around an hour or so, so I headed back to her room to nap a little. I was getting very dizzy and faint...

I barely got to rest when mum was wheeled back. She was drifting in and out of consciousness, due to the anaesthesia. On her right hand side was a tube and a pouch, and already it was filling quickly blacks vile-looking black liquid.

The doctor came by and said the procedure was a success, and that mum should soon feel some relief. Mum looked tired but hopeful, and though she slept most of the afternoon, she did say that the bloated feelings in her stomach were slowly subsiding. It is not known yet how long she has to have to T tube inserted (by my understanding, as long as necessary until the blockage issue is resolved... which may mean another major surgery to reroute the duodenum and bile ducts, as the surgeon previously suggested...) But at least for now, one issue has been resolved, and I will be so happy if mum can go home soon...



No comments: