14 February 2012

Treatment Day Four

The fourth and final day of treatment. Or so I hope.

We again took the taxi to the hospital, and mere minutes after getting off, I could see mum was unwell again. Her mouth puffed, and her lips sealed tightly. I instinctively took out a plastic bag from my backpack and gave it to her quickly. Plastic bags have become a "must-carry" whenever we go anywhere now. As expected, she vomited. Everything from breakfast came out again. I patted her back. She coughed and choked. I swallowed my tears.

 I accompanied her inside the operating room, and helped her onto the operating table. She closed her eyes and grimaced in pain. "I know, I know... But this is the last treatment," I said to her, grabbing her hand. The very last treatment I do hope. The very last treatment...

 The radiologist kindly asked me to leave the room. I paced around outside, watched the crowd, imagined mum inside. A guy next to me was watching a comedy on his hand-held device, and his laughter filled the corridor. Later, he got up and picked up who I believe is his son. His son who was in a vegetative state. The man gently grabbed his son and placed him in a wheelchair. I watched them disappear into the crowd. The echo of the man's laughter remained in the corridor, remained in my head...

 Whirring sounds and a low siren constantly sounded. The technician operating the machine again went in and out of the operating room to adjust mum's position and operating table. Every time he passed me, he would gesture to me to sit and say, "Not yet. It's not finished yet." I would weakly smile at him. I would thank him. Then about forty minutes or so after mum went in, the red light turned off, and the brown door slowly, slowly opened.The technician walked by and smiled at me. "Please, you can go in now..."

 I walked inside, and saw the gigantic machine, motionless. With its metallic arm, its impressive-looking head, it stood there, looking proud and imposing. Mum lay there, also motionless. The blue mould that was made of her body the week before made sure that she lies as still as possible. Mum's eyes were closed, and only when I called out "Mama..." did she open her tired eyes.

"Is it over?"

"It is over." Dear god, please let this be over. Please. Please... "How are you feeling? Did you rest?" I asked. Streaks of infra-red, used to pinpoint and target the coordinates of the tumour, shone on her forehead and upper body.

The technician, a kind, gentle man, helped mum up, and gave her a pat on her back. Mum looked tired, so very, very tired. I held her hand and helped her down from the operating table. She wobbled a little and slowly we walked out the room.

"Thank you," I said, following mum. As much as I am thankful to the gentle man for his patience and hard work throughout these last four days of treatment, in a way I do not wish to see him or the CyberKnife, or any other medical equipment, again. An MRI scan was planned for an hour from then.

Mum felt a little better after a little lunch. Just some congee, a few vegetables and vegetarian steak, but at least she held it down in her stomach, which meant she absorbed the nutrients necessary for her to regain her health, regain her strength.

"The [glutamine] really helps," she said, "My throat is not as sore as before."

I joked: "Well you've had lots of experience, and now know what works and what does not. You should write a blog."

Mum smiled.



No comments: