17 January 2012

Glutamine


How much does health cost? What would you pay so that someone would hurt less, experience less discomfort and grow stronger quicker? There is no price... And I know, I know I am so fortunate, so very fortunate, not to have to worry about money (too much) so I can buy things for my mum in the hope she gets better, or get as good as she can become.

The nurse pulled me aside one day and said though mum's condition is improving, she's still very frail, still physically very weak. I too see it. A short walk can leave her gasping and frowning in pain, even though now she does not need my aid and me having to hold her arm or hands like before.

The nurse told me about a substance called L-Glutamine, a complicated form of protein which is vital for protecting against mouth and throat sores commonly associated with radio- or chemotherapy. It also provides the body with an additional source of energy necessary to produce white blood cells and boost the immune system, which both of which are always eroded after treatment. It is important that mum takes doses of L-Glutamine right after her surgery and just before her next treatment. otherwise, healing and recovery will be a long, and painful process.

The nurse mentioned me a number of over the counter products I could buy, but warned me they are all very costly. When I got to the pharmacy today, I was indeed surprised at the price.

"It can't be cheaper...?" I asked, "I'm buying it for my mum..." I know, I'm playing the "son" card, but medical supplements are known to be a great source of windfall profit for pharmaceutical companies. In the end, I did get a better deal, but still, I cringed as I signed the credit card bill...

I swallowed. But what price would you pay to take pain away from someone you care about? What price is recovery and relative good health? mum doesn't have to know how much, and I'll clandestinely add portions of the power into her drinks.

There is no price.






No comments: