07 March 2012

Extension

In two weeks' time, it will be 90 days since I first arrived in Taiwan. The total number of days I can stay in the country on a visa-exempt entry is 90 days, which means I either have to leave the country and come back in again, or apply for an extension.

With mum's condition not getting any better, and a number of decisive doctors' appointments due over the coming weeks, it is not yet time for me to leave. I'm not sure what I'm waiting for in terms of a sign that I can leave. But I only know it's not time yet.

I really am not in the mood to fly or go anywhere abroad. ( the only travelling I want to do is fulfil my dream of biking around the island). Really I get so tired just thinking about going through customs, boarding a plane and all that nonsense... I never thought this day would come, but I am so sick of flying. So that leaves only one option.

I applied for a visa extension on one other occasion before, and that was to stay on to arrange dad's funeral. The extension was granted without hassle, on "humanitarian grounds". I have mum's hospital declarations and an accompanying letter in which I detail the reasons why I need to stay on.

I got to the department of consular affairs, and the lady kindly explained to me the most I can apply an extension for is probably only for 30days. And that would cost some NT$2400 ($80), which she thinks is not really worth it. If I were Canadian or a citizen of the UK, an extension of 90 days may be possible. The best option as an EU citizen would be to leave the country and come back in again. "Go to Hong Kong or Macau for a day, and take an evening flight back. You'll get another 90 days of visa."

Great... I perhaps do need to leave the country, even if I don't want to...

No comments: