02 September 2011

Moving show

The last time I saw the Lion King was in London, in the Summer of 2002. It was actually with my ex, ironically a few days after we broke up. It was a bit awkward, and we went to the show as planned. In the end, it was an amazing performance, my first musical experience, and brought to live an all time favourite Disney movie, many songs ad rhythms of which I knew by heart from hours and hours of playing and replaying the cassette I once owned.

I went again, with two friends (one of whom is, ironically, now also an ex), tonight. I looked forward to the performance, and though it was good, perhaps the setting and small stage did not really do the spectacle much justice. Even so, a number of the songs made me tear, and at moments uncontrollably.

Other than the classic Circle of Life, there was this one, sung to Simba by his dad, just before he passes away, and sung again when Simba regains his pride and decides to return to the life and fate he had tried to run away from.

The lyrics spoke to me, and caused the tears to flow...
And a voice
With the fear of a child
Answers
....
He lives in you
He lives in me
He watches over
Everything we see
Into the water
Into the truth
In your reflection
He lives in you"

Touched I was, deep down and the longings for dad resurfaced. I wiped away the tears, embarassed and unsure while I was even crying. Perhaps my friend, who sat behind me noticed, and I felt a few strokes of his hand on my back.

I thought of images of my nephew my brother had sent me... The circle of life indeed... we loose someone, but somewhere down the line, another blessing is added to our dull grey lives. This is the circle of life, birth and death, happiness and sorrow, loss and gain all repeating and counterweighing one another in a miraculous and mysterious way that makes the world turn around and keep on turning.

"In your reflection... he lives in you..." 
Though sad, there is a source of strength to be found in that sentence.


No comments: