18 May 2011

Touch down at TPE

The plane touched down with a thump, the flaps lifted and the engines roared as the wheels screeched to decelerate.

I don't understand what triggered the flow of emotions, and I was suddenly close to tears. Landed in Taiwan, and it feels so bizarre yet familiar to be back here just two months or so after I left.

Perhaps the emotions are triggered by the fact that soon I will be able to see and hug mum again, and that I'll see for myself how the last two months has aged and changed her. And in a way I am afraid of seeing what adverse effects her treatment may have had on her... Afraid to see her in pain, afraid to see her suffering.

Or perhaps, quite simply, the overwhelming emotions are triggered by the combination of lack of quality sleep, queasiness from my reoccurring stomach upset, and that strange, strange sense of feeling out of place after having crossed so many time zones and been to different locations all within twenty-four hours. The exhaustion is enough to make drain the strongest of souls...


Whatever the reason for that emotional encounter upon landing, the 'long' departed son has returned once again.

No comments: