17 December 2010

Voulez-vous une banane?

I got off the bus, after what seemed like a long and grueling journey. The seat was so cramped, and the bus was completely loaded. I had dozed off and slept half of the way, only to wake up close to the border of Ontario and Quebec when the bus unexpected swayed strongly in one direction. The rest of the trip downtown seemed to take forever, and my mind was filled with things I have to do, and of people and faces that seem to appear and disappear with memories of happy moments, but also worries of dark, brooding uncertain times ahead.

The bus terminal is right above the metro station, and there is a flight of stairs leading down to the underground level. Every time I pass through those stairs, there is a homeless person (or two) who stands behind the door and opens it whenever someone is passing through. And today  was no exception.

As I approached, a man in his thirties held the door open for me with one hand, and with the other he had a tattered paper coffee cup for spare change. Whenever I walk pass a homeless person, I am temporarily filled with compassion, but at the same time guilt. I never like to give out spare change, as I fear they may spend it on abusive substances.

I had already passed through the door, but something in me made me turn around. I was reminded that I had a banana in my bag, and without thinking too much, I just took it and asked: "Voulez-vous une banane?" ("Would you like a banana?")

A few times when I offered food to a homeless person, I've been shouted out. But this time, the man instantly flashed a beautiful smile. His face lit up, and his expression was one of gratitude and appreciation. "Merci, merci!" he said, and stretched out a soiled hand to grab the banana from me.
"Merci, merci" he repeated again.

I did not say anything back, except smile back and look at him deeply. For a split moment our eyes met, and I felt warm inside, warm from the joy of such a simple act of kindness, such a simply act of giving. Though I did not say anything, deep down, I said "thank you".

Thank you  for making my day...

No comments: