14 December 2010

Laughter

It's been a long time since I heard mum laugh, and how endearing and moving it was!

Mum says she feels better, after listening to a 'teacher' what kind of herbal medicine she should take to boost her immune system and to stop her throat from getting worse from the chemo medicine. And like  almost every time I speak to her, the conversation turned to brother's wedding.

According to tradition, the bride and groom must spend a night in the groom's family home. Since we moved last year, the family home has become a small one-bedroom apartment, with a large living room that can be divided into a small guest room. The bedroom is obviously my mum's, so that leaves the little guest room/living room as the only place where my brother and his fiance must spend the first night of their married life together.

The ridiculousness of the situation made mum laugh, which in turn made me laugh. There's not even a bed, so they have to sleep on the wooden floor (which is what I do when I'm home...). It's all very make-shift and simple, but they have to make do. And we have to somehow decorate that living room/guest room space into the "wedding room", which according to tradition is where the husband and wife spend the first night "together".

As mum joked: "I'm sure it's not their first night 'together'. "

I guess I'll just have to tiptoe and be very careful not to disturb the married couple when that night comes...

No comments: