18 October 2013

Kitty's end

I was anxious the entire morning. You know something dreadful is going to happen, and the countdown to that moment  is unbearable. I felt queasy, and when I went downstairs I couldnt find Kitty at first. Then I saw her huddled together ubder a  chair on top of a sjerp skin rug.

I sleept poorly the night before, persos no more than four hours. I did bring my mobile mattress down to the living room to be with her, but almost as soon as I lay down next to the box she has been sleeping in, she got up and went to sit somewhere else. In the dark, I could see her struggle with her heavy behind and belly, which had become so bloated with fluids. In the dark, I could make out she    was watching me from a distance, watching me sleep perhaps.

Only she and I know we slept on the same floor that final night, for before six I got up and went upstairs to the room and locked myself in there to work for a couple of hours while everyone else and my nephew started to stir from their sleep.

I stroked Kitty throughout the morning, and my nephew hung around  also petting the cat and playing around us. I got her favourite brush and began to brush her. Despoite being so weak abd barely able to stand and or make a sound, as soon as I started brushing her, it  was as if she came alive and forgot all about her physical discomforts and panting. She purred so besutiffuly and loudly, she arched her back and stood up stood, her eyes were glittery with life and emotions. It's as if she hadn't been brushed for some time. My nephew tried to imitate my movements abd brushed her too. She   was in heaven, here still in Earth...

She fell asleep in my lap under the spell of ny soft stroking.

No comments: