17 October 2013

Call to the crematorium



i could barely get the words out of my mouth between the chocking and swallowing the tears. 

My brother asked me to call the clinic and the crematorium to ask for details about what happens when you put down a pet. We know the vet will come at 14.00hrs tomorrow (18 Oct 2013), but we are unsure of what happens next. In essence, I have been asked to take care of the funeral arrangement...

After I spoke to the lady at the clinic, I put down the phone and just let the tears flow. "Heel veel sterkte..." She said at the end. "Much Strength..." She must understand what it means to people who lose their pets. It's an emotional ordeal. Whatever people may say or think, and though pets are not human beings, they become an ingrained part of your life, part of your family. 

I have been watching and spending time with  Kitty since i got back two hours or so ago. She looks so normal, crouching like she does often by the window and eyeing the room with her little head. She looks like she's gained a lot of weight, but when I first touched her, the feel of her spine and bones shocked me tremendously. She's actually gotten thin, and all that excess "volume" is from fluids gathered inside. Her breathing has become so cumbersome and with every breath she's struggling and heaving. The side of her body has been shaven for the echo graph on Tuesday. Ironically she looks like a cancer patient with a shaven side. But her fur is as beautiful as ever, her gaze still as soft and loving, so sweet and so full of affection. 

I touch her, stroke her an quietly deep down I say to her "it will all be alright... Relax... I am here..."

Does she understand? Does she realise I am here for her and will be there all the time by her side along with my brother and sister-in-law who care about and love her so much? 





No comments: