02 August 2013

Handyman



For a week or so, I have been helping  friend move and settle down in his new home. Some days, we start early in the day, sevenish he comes to pick me up to work a few hours before heading to work. Then after work, we would drive to furniture stores in search of bargains and exploring Ikea for value and quality pieces of furniture to fill up his space. I don't think I've assembled as many pieces of furniture in as short amount of time, not even for myself.

It's really been exhausting, and at night I collapse into bed, relieved to be able to sleep (sometimes to be woken up by my phone vibrating...) But in some ways, I'm happy to be helping a friend, even if it means completely taking away valuable study time for my impending exams... It's nice to build something, to look around furniture stores and dream of my dream home, dream of my dream kitchen and a lovely, cosy bedroom where I would fall asleep with my partner (still MIA, or rather, to be located...)  The entire experience of helping my friend really has driven me to want to settle down and buy a house on my own....


I so wish to be able to build a home, to design minute details of my own little places in the world and to find a sense of belonging. The last time I did that was back in 2009, with the help of my ex and best friend. What joy we had, what beautiful memories of painting and scrubbing, of building furniture and building a "home" together... Something to cherish for ever. Something to look forward to always...

 

No comments: